Wiener Rennverein was established in Vienna on 7 March 1932 under the chair of H.H. Prince Ulrich Ferdinand Kinsky as the President of the "Renn- und Campagnereitergesellschaft" ("Racing and Competitive Riding Society") and of the "Proponentenkomitee" ("Committee of Proponents"). H.H. Prince Kinsky was elected as the founding president with a large majority by the inaugural General Assembly. Women who were relatives of a member or themselves owned a racing stable could be accepted as extraordinary members. The registered office of Wiener Rennverein was Hotel Bristol, Mahlerstraße 6, 1010 Vienna.
On 9 January 1937, Major General Dr. Carl Graser was elected the Association's new President. After the annexation of Austria into the Third Reich, the articles of association were amended, the club premises were relocated to the premises of the officially dissolved Jockey Club at the Philipp-Hof, which, along with all the club's documents and archives, were destroyed in an air raid in February 1945.
After an intermezzo at Stiegengasse, Wiener Rennverein was now relocated to the Palais Pallavicini, where Federal Minister Dr. Eduard Heinl was elected as its President on 30 March 1946; since then, Wiener Rennverein has explicitly been a non-political association and its club premises have been used till today to foster socialising, international relations and cultural purposes. Membership was open to people who owned racing stables or were breeders and gentlemen who subjected themselves to a ballotage.
Club-Presidents after 1945
Minister Dr. Eduard Heinl
1957: Dr. Friedrich Baron Haymerle
1973: Dir. Gen. Peter Winterstein
1982: Lawyer Dr. Victor Sprosec
1995: MMag. Dr. Franz Graf Marenzi
Since 2006: Prof. Ulrich Norbert Schulenburg
Prof. Ulrich N. Schulenburg, President
Hon. Consul Komm.-Rat Viktor Wagner, Vice-President
Hon. Consul General Dr. Wolfgang A. Breitenthaler, Vice-President
Members of the Managing Board
Dr. Dieter Temt
RA Dr. Willibald Hauer
Count Octavian Pilati
Otto K. Knoll